top of page

OUR HISTORY

The story of

Saint-Amour

This evocative name of Saint-Amour comes from a Christian soldier named Romain Amor. He decides to flee the massacres of the Swiss Valais, and takes refuge in Gaul. He then founded a monastery located on a summit which dominates the valley of the Saône. It was in the Middle Ages that the cultivation of the vine had its origins with the religious orders of the Chapter of Saint-Vincent de Mâcon.

In 1793, during the Revolution, the name of Saint-Amour disappeared in favor of the name "Bellevue", but 3 years later, the town regained its original name, and became Saint-Amour-Bellevue.

The Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée of  Saint-Amour was born by decree on February 8, 1946 by Louis Dailly, who believed in the remarkable character of the terroir. Today, the Saint-Amour cru has grown significantly in notoriety and has a large share of the Beaujolais grand crus.

Verre de vin rouge
les raisins

CRU'S
CHARACTERISTICS

The Cru Saint-Amour is located in the town of Saint-Amour-Bellevue (71).

The soils are marked by a great diversity because they can be composed of old alluvial clays or clays with flint but also of sandstone, granite and shale or even limestone rocks. The altitude is 240 to 320m with medium and moderate slopes.

From a morphological and lithological point of view, Saint-Amour is both complex and varied. We cross several geological units there before reaching the piedmont and alluvial formations.

On either side of the granite and its sandy, even sandy-clayey soils, the meta-diorites and meta-basalts of the “blue stones” mingle with other rocks that look gray-pink siliceous. Very heterogeneous, these lands nevertheless have a strong typicity.

 

The Domaine des Pins in a few figures:

Area
Saint-Amour AOP : 8 ha
Chardonnay : 0,6 ; 0.3 ha for Burgundian cremant and 0,3ha for Beaujolais Villages white

Varied soils : Sandstone on the surface and clays in depth at La Folie and Cornillons, alluvial deposits and ancient foothills in Guinchay, Plasses and Pochieux, granites at Bonet and Tête de Bonet.

bottom of page